I have more than a few hurdles that make writing daily difficult. These include my health – physical and mental, as well as my regular doctor appointments.
Beyond that, I’ve realized in the past 6 months or so that the biggest things that stop me from making progress and building momentum in my writing are staying organized and continuing to track my progress – or not knowing how to track my progress. They make it difficult for me to remember why I want to write a book (or two, or three, or more).
- I enjoy the writing process. I hate the beginning, when you’re starting, like everyone else who’s human, but I love the actual process; regardless of whether it’s a blog post, a thesis paper, a short story, or something else.
- I want to write the kind of story that I wish was available when I was growing up. This falls under the write the kind of book you want to read.
- I want to write a story that’s focuses on women and girls doing important things and the boys and men aren’t as important to the story. I’ve reached a point in my life where I prefer protagonists that I have something in common with.
- I’ve recently realized I appreciate books, tv shows, and movies with themes of survival – especially individual survivors. For example, I watch Law and Order: SVU because of the characters on the show who keep going despite all the terribleness in the world. In the past few months I’ve learned also that I identity with the word “survivor” so I’d like to incorporate some of this into a story too.
- Another that I sometimes forget, is that I want to write a story where the protagonist has a mental illness that makes getting through daily life more difficult – but not impossible. Basically, present mental illness in a way to show that it’s simply part of life.
- Finally, writing is also learning and I love to learn.
And now I think it’s important to list out why I hate writing –
- It’s hard.
- It’s overwhelming.
- It takes regular work and some days it feels like there’s no reward.
- It’s difficult for me to stay organized.
- Sometimes it’s difficult to remember what I was doing or where I was going with the story.
- Making decisions is hard.
- I can’t seem to remember the most productive ways to brainstorm.